Friday, August 24, 2007

Ask me why and I'll...


Hey everyone -- sorry I've been away so long.

Thanks to everyone who wrote in with responses to this post. Here are a few more semi-random thoughts on patriotism and obligation. Feel free to respond!


"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
--Samuel Johnson



"Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here in America doesn't make you an American....I'm not standing here speaking to you as an American, or a patriot, or a flag-saluter, or a flag- waver-no, not I."
--Hajj Malik Shabazz/Malcolm X


"I decreed today that life is simply taking and not giving/England is mi-i-ine/And it owes me everything./But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye/Ask me why and I'll spit in your eye.""
-- The Smiths

Also, I've been thinking about this stuff (and the questions of property that Mel raised) in relation to the stories we grow up with. Has anyone out there seen Hometsar Runner's "cheat commandos"? The best parody of GI Joe ever. The theme song goes:

"Cheat Commandos -- they're fighting for freedom and each is sold separately!
Cheat Commandos -- they're battling evil; buy all our playsets and toys!"

Which, in some strange way, sums a lot of things up.

PS - "Ibn Bint Jbail", what's up!? My wife and I have one of your prints hanging above our couch in the living room. And your little ones are adorable! More soon...

5 comments:

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

saladin, which print do you have? i'm curious..

i LOVE homestar runner!!!!
one of my favorite little skits is this one and this one

Saladin said...

It's "When Will Be My Return".

One of my favorite Homestar Runner things is:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgsmenu.html

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

which one is "When Will Be My Return"? (i've titled them differently over the years, because i'm organized like that; so i dont remember which one that one is..)

Saladin said...

It's a wood-block print I think. two women's faces facing away from one another, barbed wire separating them, over a mountain range. dated november 2000.

we'll be in MI in december...maybe we'll see you?

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

definitely! can't wait to see you..