Wednesday, September 26, 2007

So are we waiting for the glowing '666' to appear on some general's forehead, or what?

I was first made aware of this story by the AP* via foxnews.com (yes I read them -- they are to be ignored at our peril!). The above is an aerial photo of a US Navy barracks complex in San Diego. I couldn't make this stuff up. Apparently it's been standing there for like 40 years...

The advent of googlemaps and satellite photo, though, have made this image more widely available. And the military honchos are feeling the heat. Taking a bold, courageous moral stand, one official said "We don't want to be associated with something as symbolic and hateful as a swastika". I like the syntax there, as if the swastika's symbol-ness is as bad as its hatefulness. But anyway. Amidst a public outcry, the Navy will spend $600,000 to change the shape of the complex. That's fine -- money that could be going to a warship going to make things look less Nazi-ish. But how much do we have to pay to have the US government stop *acting* so Nazi-ish?

*I'm pissed, BTW, at the AP. Their usually relatively responsible reporting has been leaning to the far right on Iran for some reason. The Associated Press has perpetuated the "wiped off the map" lie about Ahmadinejad (using quotation marks no less!) numerous times in the past week or so.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

maybe its just me, but I find it so so so hard to believe that GoogleMaps was the first time someone pointed out the shape of the building. I mean, who built the same thing?