Sunday, September 9, 2007

Songs About Places

Hey people.

It's been a hectic week -- getting a new crop of students, starting a killer commute (four hours total four days a week!), trying unsuccessfully to get some decent writing done, meeting some cool SF/F writers, seeing Talib Kweli (& Jean Grae & Smif N' Wesson) in Ft. Greene Park, etc. Thus the delay in posting (here and on other blogs).

No political rant today. Today's post is a rip-off of a post by one Dr. Kenneth Noisewater. Dr. Noisewater asked about songs with girls' names in them. I'm asking about songs with place-names in them. The following is an alphabetical list of songs with proper noun mentions of places in the title. The place must be a "named" place, though not necessarily a real one (thus "The Fool on the Hill" is not admissible, but "Strawberry Fields" is). The songs here are simply the first ones to come to my mind, with a consultation or two with my own music library. It's more fun if you only use the 'net for a last resort. Please send your complete or partial lists!

A
Alphabet Street - Prince

B
Bombs Over Baghdad - Outkast

C
Warm California Sun - Ramones version

D
Panic In Detroit - David Bowie

E
Egypt, Egypt - The Egyptian Lover

F
Moving To Florida - Butthole Surfers

G
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles version

H
(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go - Curtis Mayfield

I
Istanbul - They Might Be Giants

J
Welcome to Jamrock - Damian Marley

K
(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo - Glen Miller

L
London's Burning - The Clash

M
Mexicali Blues - The Grateful Dead

N
N.Y. State of Mind - Nas

O
Oakland - Too Short

P
Penny Lane - Beatles

Q
[Thoroughly stumped!]

R
Wayn a Ramallah - (Palestinian Folk Song)

S
San Ber'dino - Frank Zappa

T
Trenchtown Rock - Bob Marley

U
Back In The USSR - Beatles

V
Venus - Bananarama version

W
Wild Wild West - Kool Moe Dee

X
Xanadu - Olivia Newton John (I think)

Y
A Song of Yorkshire - "Honley" [Ok, at this point I was doing a desperate internet search!]

Z
Zabriskie Point Soundtrack [Not an actual song title, but again, I'm at a loss!]

12 comments:

tcastleb said...

How about "Avenue Q" for Q? I don't really know the musical, but surely there's a song title with that in there.

And, off topic, but have you ever read George Alec Effinger's "When Gravity Fails" and the other two books in that series? It's SF set in a futuristic Arabic society and pretty darn good.

Saladin said...

@ tcastleb --

Hm. I'm not sure about "Avenue Q" -- though it's closer than anything I could come up with...

I've read about the Effinger books, but haven't read them yet...so much stuff to read! I'm almost done with "The Lies of Locke Lamora." It's great!

Wanda said...

Goin back to Cali - C

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

o.k., like, this is, like, aMAzing! like, i was just listening to that, like, SONG, dude!

o.k. i'll stop talking like that now.

before i went down your list i said to myself: i wonder if he has any arabic songs. i went directly down to R to see which song you had because i wanted to suggest the ramallah song, and lo and behold, the rest is history...!

golaniya has an audio of it on her blog:
http://ya-ashrafe-nnas.blogspot.com/2007/09/blog-post_02.html

Saladin said...

@ Wanda: thanks -- in compiling this list it seems that there might be more songs about California than any other place on earth...

@ Ibn Bint Jbeil -- it's one of the few Arabic songs I actually know some words to! Though now I'm wondering if there might be a Muhammad Abdul Wahab song about Cairo or Egypt...

Wanda said...

lol yea what can i say.

how about-
My Posse's on Broadway - Sir MixALot

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

there are a lot of SHEIKH IMAM songs about egypt..

Andrew said...

I can think of at least 3 songs about my home town, San Francisco.
I left my heart in SF (??)
San Francisco Nights (Eric Burdon)
Mean old Frisco Blues (Clapton)
------

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

For Z, there's a song by Drive By Truckers called Zip city.

Great choices, dude, and I'm glad you gave me credit for the inspiration.

I wish you would have sung me You're the Inspiration by Peter Cetera and Chicago. That would have made me moist.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I have a feeling I'm going to coming back to bother you, but you gotta have Rocky Top for R.

Saladin said...

@ Wanda -- very good! That also reminds me of "On Broadway" [the Drifters?] and an old funk song called "funky funky broadway"...and "give my regards to broadway", for that matter. Maybe the most-named street in popular song?

@ Dr. Kenneth -- I don't know either of those songs, but thanks for coming up with a "Z" entry!

@ Andrew -- Long time no speak! Your entries are good -- I guess there's also "If You're goin to San fransisco".

Anonymous said...

The Mountain Goats - Going to Queens is a possible one for Q.