Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jimmy runs deep

Hey all. Multiple postings today to make up for a long silence. Last week, Jimmy Carter was getting all up in cops' faces in Darfur. This week he was interviewed on CNN*, where former AIPAC employee Wolf Blitzer somehow managed to restrain himself from bringing up Carter's contribution to the Israel/Apartheid comparison. Instead the topics were Iraq and the field of wack-ass presidential candidates. Carter has his problems: he's still nostalgic for the "good old" US, he's hesitant to call war crimes war crimes, he can't pronounce Abu Ghraib. But he says things plainly that none of the candidates will: Does he think the US uses torture? "I don't think it. I know it." What does he think of Rudy Giuliani's recent speeches about bombing Iran? "I could almost write it for him..I think he's foolish." Jimmy runs deep, indeed. Man, I hope I'm this sharp when I'm 83!

*Apologies for the obligatory corporate news pre-video commercial!

7 comments:

CresceNet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sydneysider said...

Hi there,

I can't remember how I stumbled across this blog, but I've enjoyed the posts I've come across. It's been good reading for this expatriate!

I'd just like to add to this post my hope that next year Jimmy will send election monitors into the US for the 2008 rat, er presidential, race, now that would be great. Just imagine how the media would cover that one, and also all the things the monitors would find. If only...

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

wack-ass!

Saladin said...

@ Sydneysider --

Thanks for the kind words. And forget monitoring elections -- I actually wish Carter could be Prez again...not perfect, but better than any of the current possibilities!

Invisible Woman said...

I don't care what anyone says, I have always loved Jimmy Carter.

Sydneysider said...

Perhaps this explains why the current presidential candidates are so bad...

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/poll_bullshit_is_most_important

musingsofabittergirl said...

Jimmy is 'da man' - more a true Christian than any of the right wing freak hangers-on to Bush - he actually got out there and built houses for the poor after he was President. I have always found him a 'good person' and now that he's breaking the 'presidential buddy code of silence' you have to know Bush is the worst president in history. What I want to know is - how did we let him steal the election not once, but twice? I was not in the country - but why were there not riots after the elections last time, when tampering seemed so evident? I think the US deserves what it gets. I remember the attacks on Carter when he was president, and how then Iran was used against him (the Iranians held Americans politically until a right-winger was elected again -- and released the hostages on election eve when Carter lost ... does that smell of right wing inner circle CIA involvement or what?)